Thursday 6 May 2010

Which Thingy?

I've got my formula worked out so now I just need to find the thingy that will turn the ingredients into chocolate.
At first I thought I could bung all the ingredients in a bowl, melt them together and with some vigorous stirring that would be it. But it isn't and I can't.
Well, I can but it would be gritty and nasty.
Hmmm. So that means I'll need a Thingy to make it smooth.
What thingy can I use? Mortar and pestle? Yeah right, you try it. Spice grinder? Ditto. Blender? No.

Luckily for me (and thousands of others) there is a fantastic website called www.egullet.com, it's just brilliant and has loads of information about all sorts of culinary delights from to ganache gonads and lots more.
There is a great thread there about making chocolate from bean to bar (which is basically grinding cocoa beans, adding cocoa butter and sugar and also milk powder if it is milk chocolate - and ending up with a bar of eating chocolate) and the Thingy used to grind and conche the chocolate is a machine called The Santha Wet Grinder.



I looked up where I could get this marvel and found www.chocolatealchemy.com which is another fantastic site.The guy who runs the site is known as Alchemist John and he is amazing, he knows tons of stuff and is willing to share it; he is really patient even when bombarded with stupid questions (not from me of course) and is nice too.

So I pried my credit card out of my purse, dusted it off, took a deep breath, bought it and waited.....

No comments:

Post a Comment